Steve Cohen’s bold $8 billion vision to transform the area around Citi Field into a state-of-the-art entertainment destination has cleared an important early hurdle.
New York State Senator John Liu announced this week he’s backing legislation that would allow the billionaire Mets owner to move forward with the project, which includes a casino, hotel, live music venue, restaurants, and 25 acres of green space.
The bill, expected to be introduced in Albany, looks to redesignate 50 acres of land currently classified as parkland — namely, the Citi Field parking lots — for commercial use.
Under current law, because the land is technically designated as parkland, it can’t be developed without state approval.
Liu’s bill would allow Cohen’s development team, in partnership with Hard Rock International, to submit their casino license application before the June 27 deadline.
“Because the parking lot is legally parkland, they require state legislation that would allow a gaming facility to be built on that parkland in order to proceed with their application,” Liu explained.
Flushing Skypark will be a game changer. I’m encouraged by Steve Cohen and Hard Rock’s commitment to making it happen or paying $100M to fix up Flushing Meadows Corona Park it they can’t. In that spirit, I’ll introduce legislation to make these benefits possible. pic.twitter.com/lWQTyNIhd3
— John C. Liu (@LiuNewYork) March 30, 2025
Cohen’s Metropolitan Park proposal has been in the works since 2023, shortly after the state announced it would open bidding for three downstate casino licenses.
The hedge fund billionaire and majority owner of the New York Mets has pledged $100 million toward community infrastructure and improvements — including the Flushing Skypark, a pedestrian bridge designed to connect downtown Flushing with Willets Point, where the Mets play.
However, not everyone is on board, and there has been some pushback.
State Senator Jessica Ramos, who represents the district that encompasses the Citi Field site, has publicly opposed the idea since day one. “My position has not changed,” she told the New York Post. “I cannot support a casino in Corona and am a definitive no on any alienation bill that goes against my neighbors’ wishes.”
Her opposition could be significant, as the state Senate typically defers to the local representative on land-use decisions like this.
Ramos previously blocked similar efforts to reclassify the land in past sessions, raising concerns about the project’s impact on the surrounding community, including traffic, quality of life, and the long-term future of Flushing Meadows-Corona Park.
Despite these grumbles, Liu believes there is enough public support to move forward. “Some are opposed,” he said, “but far more are in favor.”
For Cohen and Hard Rock, time is tight since casino bids are due by late June and licenses to be awarded by the end of the year.
Approval would clear the way for the group to move into the next phase — and potentially bring a multi-billion-dollar development to one of Queens’ most underused parcels of land.
Whether you’re in favor or are opposed to the plan, the next few months will determine whether Citi Field becomes home to more than just baseball.
The post $8B Citi Field casino plan gains political traction but faces local hurdles appeared first on ReadWrite.